|Mantrams of Power
The mantrams that hold
the secret of power are, as you know and have been told above, of different kinds, and are
- Of prime importance are the protective mantrams.
- The mantrams that call the elementals and lesser devas, and bring them into the magnetic
radius of the one who calls.
- The mantrams that impose upon the elementals and lesser devas the will of the one who
- Mantrams that break the charm, if I may put it so, and place the elementals and devas
again outside the magnetic radius of the caller.
These four groups of mantrams refer especially to the calling and contacting of the
lesser grades and are not much used, except in rare cases by initiates and adepts, who, as
a general rule, work through the instrumentality of the great guiding devas and builders.
The Dark Brotherhood work with the forces of involution and bend to their will the
unwitting lesser forms of life. The true procedure - as followed by the Brotherhood of
Light - is to control these involutionary groups and low grade devas  through their
own superior ranks, the cohorts of the building devas with their Deva Lords.
This brings me to another group of mantrams used in connection with the devas
- Rhythmic mantrams, that put the one who uses them in contact with the deva group he
seeks. These mantrams are, of course, forms of Ray Mantrams, for they call the devas on
some one ray. These mantrams again will vary if the man himself is on the same ray as the
group he calls. You ask why protective mantrams are not used first as in the case of
calling elementals. Principally for the following reason. The mantrams calling elementals
are more easily found and used than those calling the devas. History is full of instances
of where this has been done, and all over the world (even at this time) are people who
hold the secret that will put them in touch with elementals of one kind or another.
Everyone in Atlantean days knew how to do this, and among savage peoples and by some
individuals in civilized countries the art is still known and practiced. Secondly, the
average man, even if he knows the mantram, will probably fail in calling a deva, for it
involves something more than just chanting the words and sounds. This something is one of
the secrets of initiation. When a man is an initiate or an adept he needs not the
protective rites, for it is a law in the occult world that only those of pure life and
unselfish motive can successfully reach the deva evolution, whereas in connection with the
elementary lives it works the other way.
- Mantrams that permit of intercourse with the devas once they have been called. Speech,
as we know it, is not understood by the devas, but impulses, forces, vibrations can be set
up by the use of specific forms that lead to the desired result and obviate the need of
speech.  These forms open the avenues of mutual comprehension.
- Mantrams that influence groups, and others that influence specific devas. I would like
to point out here that as a rule devas are handled in groups and not as individuals
until you contact devas of a very high order.
- Mantrams that directly call the attention of one of the deva lords of a subplane, or the
mighty Deva Lord of a plane. They are known to very few and are only used by those who
have taken high initiation.